twitter




Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Target Heart Rate: Weight Loss vs. Endurance?

If you're trying to lose weight, would staying in the target heart heart rate range for weight loss make you lose it faster? Or is it just a guideline for a minimum target heart rate?



I%26#039;m trying to lose weight, and I%26#039;m never in the weight loss range when I workout (always in endurance and sometimes go over the endurance by a few points). Just curious if this makes a difference at all.



Thanks!



Target Heart Rate: Weight Loss vs. Endurance?

When you work out in lower heart rate %26quot;zones%26quot;, you use different forms of energy. Working out slower uses fat as your primary fuel source. At higher intensities, it uses glycogen.



Overall, it might make a tiny difference, but burning any calories are good calories - your body will stop generating fat if it has to replayce the glycogen.



Generally, working out for any extended period of time will help with your weight loss goals - and if you can stay in the endurance zone for a long enough workout, then you%26#039;ll be just fine.



I%26#039;ve been running lately in the %26quot;endurance and above%26quot; (I use a hr monitor without those classifications), and I%26#039;ve still managed to drop 15 pounds quite quickly - so my faster pace hasn%26#039;t affected anything for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment